Thursday, September 16, 2010

Introducing R E T

Rowland Edward Thorn

My beautiful nephew entered the world today!
My phone rang at 5:00 this morning and although it took me a while to reach it, I knew exactly what was going on. My sister, Lesley was in labor! 2-3 weeks early! Row was ready!
Being that it was so early in the morning, it took a little while to find a volunteer to come watch Miss O. Luckily I have some great family and cousin Beth Covin (Pebworth) came over. As soon as she arrived I was out the door fearing that I could miss out on something. (Isn't it silly how we forget that babies take forever to get here).
I wanted to be there. Lesley is my baby sister! My best friend. I had to be there!
As it turns out, her water had broken around 3:00 this morning. All of this was totally unexpected. Lesley was so calm, laughing and joking throughout the day. She handled labor like a seasoned champ. Around mid morning her contractions became stronger. It wasn't until around 11:00 or so that she finally reached 5 cm and was given an epidural. Once I knew she was comfortable and resting well, it was off to the cafeteria to grab me and mom some lunch. We'll just like the old trick in restaurants, if you want your food to come, get up and go to the restroom, babies work the same way. Go grab a sandwich and bet your bottom dollar that before you can even get a bite in, the baby starts making headway-literally. As soon as I got back her contractions became closer and the ball really began to roll. This same thing happened to me while in labor. My doc decided to go eat lunch only to be called back to deliver O before he had the chance to eat. CrAzY!
Moving on and push came to shove and Row made his debut at 2:15PM. He weighed exactly 7 lbs and is 20 1/2 inches (Ollie was exactly 7 lbs and was 21 inches). Almost the exact same size! CrAzY again!!
It's a sister thing-we're cool like that!
Fortunately being "cool like that" got me a first class ticket in the delivery room.
I LOVED every minute.
Row is the most beautiful baby. He melted my heart the first moment I saw him and I am totally in love. I am so grateful to my sister for allowing me to share her moment. Today was the second best day of my life (right behind Ollie's birth).
For those of you questioning my wedding-BOO! Great day too but this is a new life people!
I am so happy for Lesley and Mitch and so happy that mom and baby are doing great!
Thank you, Lesley, for being such a amazing sister. I am so proud of you!
I love you!


Ollie loves Row too! She was so curious. She gave him a kiss and called him bebee.

The following is a short video of Row being cleaned up by the nurse.

Sweetest sound in the world!!


1 comment:

Lori said...

He's precious! So excited for you all!