Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Housewife, Desperate to Run

Just to let you all know that:

a) I haven't given up (had my butt handed to me in the middle of E3N St)

b) I am alive and well! Kicking up dust, actually.

Today started week 5 of Couch to 5K. I would like to say that it is easy and that anyone can do it, but that would be a lie. Many of my close friends (and family) know that I am the kind of person who finishes what I start....even if it kills me! Something about pride? I don't know. I would also LOVE to say that each week it gets better.....BullS***!!!! Every week the amount of time you are suppose to run increases and not just little by little. You gotta think that if this program works in just 9 weeks, you gotta work for it. At first I totally believed that I would advance quickly (which I have) and that one day I would just start running like Forrest Gump and keep on going the whole 3 miles (which I have not). Not going to happen. I have, however, come to learn that this whole running thing is totally mind over matter. Even when your legs feel like rubber and your lungs are about to explode, don't stop until the "little man" says so! And, if you got it in ya, keep going. Your body will let you know when you absolutely have to stop. Possibly by shutting down completely or by projecting puke. ;) Today my run consisted of run 5 minutes, walk 3, run 5, walk 3, run 5, cool down. I did it and even ran at least an extra minute at the end (mainly cause I was ready to get home and running gets you there much faster). I will say that I feel great! I have yet to loose any weight, but have also yet to gain any. Although I weigh the same, all my clothes fit differently...better. My legs are much more toned and I can tell I am stronger. Whether it be chasing Ollie around or walking up stairs with bags of groceries and without getting winded. Anyway, I hate to go on and on. I just hope to inspire you to give running a try. Be strong! You have to, cause this defiantly isn't a program for the weak.

Peace Out & again I say:
Eat My dust!!

Lynsey

4 comments:

Melanie said...

Lynsey, I know exactly what you mean. I started running in February and am now running 4-5 miles 5 days a week and ran my first 5K in July. I know from experience it doesn't get easier, but it does get more tolerable. Keep it up. It's SO worth it.

Lori said...

I'm ceretainly impressed! The day my butt gets handed to me is normally my "throw in the towel day" so good for you!! :)

By the way, I thought the cookbooks turned out great! I'm loving mine!

The Bowers said...

You don't know me, but I stalk your blog. My husband is from Elba and we moved back here last year and bought a house from your mother in law. Love your blog. I'm almost 9 months pregnant and I am so determined to run again. Your blog is inspiring...keep it up! Congrats.

Tara said...

Lyns I am loving reading about your progress and laugh out loud regularly. I can hear you saying it just like you're typing it! You've just about lit a fire under my rear to start it. I walk every day, but never run. I've always been scared of running, and I think it's something I need to tackle just to get over it. And maybe when we're running like Forrest Gump one day we can run on down to the beach and have a cold one before we run on back home. Maybe just maybe?! Love you and your running self! :)