Monday, September 6, 2010

Couch to 5K

For the most part this blog is dedicated to family life.  I will start off by saying that Ollie is great. She is growing, talking and getting into everything (to be expected of a 1.5 year old). I wanted to take an opportunity to blog about myself and the goal I have set and hope to accomplish. I am really hoping that by putting it in writing for all the world to see, I am not able back out....we'll see.

As most of you know, I have been an avid walker for many years now and have always enjoyed the time to myself. Being a stay at home mom can be pretty stressful at times and a walk around town gives one time to think and process thoughts without the usual tug of the shorts or Dora song blasting loudly in the background.  Although I have always been a walker I have never quite mastered the art of running. Secretly, I have always longed to be a runner. I have always been jealous of people that could run long distances and appear to actually enjoy it. I have even read that running gives one a high and I believe it! Although I have yet to experience that so called runners high, I have received the same endorphin effect from chocolate....it basically makes you genuinely happy. Until now, running did not equal happy! It equaled knee pain, shortness of breath and the urge to puke. Although I still experience those negative feelings, things are looking up. I recently started Couch to 5K. Let me start by saying it should be named experienced walker to 5K. I am only on my second week and it is tough! Basically, it is a 9 week training program that conditions one to run. At the end of 9 weeks, one should be able to run a 5K (3 miles). Each week your running time is increased until you are able to run continuously for 3 miles. For those that have an i-phone or an i-pod touch (what I use) there is an app on i-tunes available for purchase. The cost of the app is just $2.99 and it completely walks/runs you through the program. You are able to easily download your own tunes to the app via i-tunes. The app tells you when to walk and when to run, when you are halfway there and for how long to warm-up and cool down. It is awesome! Although I am pushing my way through it right now, I feel confident that it will be worth it in the end. Hopefully I will become a "runner" and get that so called high from doing it! I am thinking that after this blog, I am unable to back out! I love a challenge!!

2 comments:

Tara Harden said...

I didn't know about that app, but I will have to check it out. I need something like that to make me keep going when I want to stop and walk. I've never been much of a runner either. It's never been good for my health to breath that hard. ;)

Lori said...

I cannot tell you how impressed I am by this!! I've never been a runner either but I love the idea of running. Keep us updated!