Sunday, January 30, 2011

Shake the Devil Off

I recently read a book called Shake the Devil Off  by Ethan Brown. This book is based on the true story of Zack Bowen and Addie Hall of New Orleans, LA.  I heard about this couple on a ghost tour that John and I took on my birthday "scare-a-thon" celebration. Although the story of this tortured couple is sad and super gruesome, I have been obsessed with their lives as well as the history of the "Crescent City".

 We learned from the tour that Zack's ghost haunts the Omni Royal Orleans Hotel. That's all I needed to hear in order to do a little paranormal research and get the whole story. Although I will not elaborate (if you are interested you can read the book-highly recommend), I will say that Zack, an Army vet, killed his girlfriend, Addie, during an argument over a New Orleans Apartment. Several days after Addie's murder, Zack jumped to his death from the eighth floor balcony of the Omni Royal. Zack now spends his days apologizing to guests of the hotel.

 Let me also mention that this couple was highlighted in several new papers across the country for their refusing to leave their beloved city during Hurricane Katrina.

Although the story of Zack and Addie intrigued me, I was fascinated by how in depth the Arthur got about the city's crime and  crooked politics. I found it very interesting to hear of all these bad things (along with the good) of a city that I hold so dear.

NOLA is a city of spirit and magic and of a faith so strong, even a hurricane could not bring it down. The folks of NO have the ability to "shake the devil off".  When someone dies (usually because of murder/crime) they have a parade and shake it off.


The best way to get rid of the bad is to do a little dance and shake the devil off!

5 comments:

Lydia Russell said...

Woa, sounds like a cool book! Don't think I've commented on your blog yet. Well, I'm following your blog now! I recently found it!

Anonymous said...

Although I also find this story very interesting I am terribly disappointed in the book. I am from New Orleans so I already know the information about our crooked politics, crime, etc. I also lost a best friend to the war in Iraq and was troubled to read a book that talked more about the war and my city than the actual people it was SUPPOSED to be about. The author told me no more information than what was in news reports. He also got a lot of information wrong from what bridge was closed due to police because of looting and what direction and bridge the guy would have taken to get to his destination. I also didn't care much for the story of his wife and friends. If you want to write a book about Iraq, write a book about Iraq. If you want to write a book about hold outs during Katrina and the horrible way our city was treated, write a book about Katrina but don't write a half ass book about a couple and their gory story and not do your research. Where was ANY information about Addie? Where did she grow up? What was she like before she came to N.O.? I personally feel this writer did a disservice to both Zach and Addie.

Anonymous said...

Rather than read the book which tells mostly about zack the episode Graveyard Love from Final Witness is the real true story of The murder.

Anonymous said...

Vraiment bien triste. Ils étaient si beau ensemble.
Marc de France

mlp said...

les histoires d'amour finissent mal! en général......

marie from France (french tv has just shown a very good report about this sad story)